Monday, December 8, 2008

While 2008 is not the 'Great Depression', there is tremendous pressure on the budgets of many, many households. It is said that the 'memory' of the depression is imprinted even on some people who never lived through that grueling era. They must have been referring to me! I've always sought ways to save a bit of money on almost anything. On the other hand, my brother, who's only 3 years younger than I, seems not to have inherited the 'save your pennies' gene at all. Even while saying "I gotta give it to you, you do know how to pinch a penny!" he still thinks I worry too much. And I think I'm a piker at squeezing a nickel until the buffalo ... well, you know. I have friends who can stretch a dollar three times farther than I can. They are my heroes!

I became an unemployment statistic almost 4 months ago. Never have I spent more than 3 days looking for a job and now it's been 40 times that long with no promising prospects in sight. That tale is told countless times in the unemployment line. It's tough out there. And no one is going to save me, or you. We have to take care of matters ourselves.

The reason for this blog is to post and collect ideas we can all use to make our money go further - personal experiences, not just the standard maxims about driving slower or turning down the heat - the real stories from folks who are living it.

I laughingly call myself 'Tilly Titewad' but I take saving my pocket change seriously. If I save $5 a week by buying a store brand instead of a national brand, over the course of a year I will have saved over $250 which is ... "a new pair of shoes" as the gal in the Progressive commercial says! Not that I would spend $250 on one pair of shoes, but you get the point!

I hope that you will enjoy my blog, and perhaps put some of the hints to use and/or send me some of your own for others to utilize. Remember, we're all in this together!

No comments: